tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/facade HttpServletResponseFacade.java
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:04:12 GMT
Hans Bergsten wrote:

> craigmcc@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >
> > craigmcc    00/11/20 15:59:43
> >
> >   Modified:    src/share/org/apache/tomcat/facade Tag: tomcat_32
> >                         HttpServletResponseFacade.java
> >   Log:
> >   Intra-document references (i.e. relative urls starting with "#") never
> >   need to be encoded.
>
> I'm not sure I follow th logic here; why don't they have to be encoded?
> Even this type of reference results in a new request to the server
> when a user clicks on it, so I assume the new request must include
> the session ID for session tracking to work.

According to the URI RFC (2316?), a relative URI like this:

should not generate a new request.  That also reflects my experience with them.
Therefore, they need not be URL encoded.  (And, for good measure, where would
you put the ";jsessionid=xxx" anyway, since the #foo part is supposed to go
last?)

> Hans

Craig