tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Boyd Waters <bwat...@aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0 -- JSP XML representation problems
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:35:47 GMT
Pierre Delisle wrote:

> > I cannot really use the XML representation, because the <jsp:cdata> tag
> > doesn't work with current Tomcat-4.0-devel. I get classCastExceptions if
> > I try to use this tag.
>
> But you could still use <![CDATA[  ...      ]]> for your CDATA.
> <jsp:cdata> should be in tomcat-4.0 befroe the end of the week.

ARG!!!

I was using code like this:

<jsp:cdata><![CDATA[   ... quoted stuff here... ]]></jsp:cdata>

 and this resulted in ClassCastExceptions. But deleting the <jsp:cdata>
tags and it worked!

One problem remains: I cannot emit a well-formed XML document because
there are leading blank lines. Consider this document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jsp:root xmlns:jsp	="http://java.sun.com/jsp_1_2">
<![CDATA[
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
]]>
</jsp:root>

The <jsp:root> tag is converted to a blank line. I get blank lines in my
document before my (quoted) <?xml... declaration.

Has anyone found a work-around to this?

With XSLT, one is able to specify the output style (eg "xml" or "html")
and you are able to specify the resulting declaration (eg. <?xml
version="1.0"?> ).

Perhaps similiar functionality should be considered for the <jsp:root>
tag.

-- boyd

---------
Boyd Waters                                          bwaters@nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory              http://www.nrao.edu
PO Box 0 Socorro, NM 87801                               505.835.7346

                                        http://www.zocalo.net/~waters
                                                    waters@zocalo.net
---------