tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: TC4-m4 startup
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2000 16:49:03 GMT
Daniel Ritchey wrote:

> Another question...
> is the base web.xml even used or necessary, what purpose does it serve?

The "base" web.xml (i.e. $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml) is read, for each web
app, prior to the application's own web.xml file.  As such, this file
establishes default values (like the MIME mappings, and the fact that we use
Jasper as the JSP engine) for all webapps.

This is exactly the same mechanism used in Tomcat 3.1 -- it was changed in 3.2
(which resulted in the loss of user ability to configure a bunch of useful
stuff), so it was changed back for 4.0.

> Just trying to get a handle on all this...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel Ritchey

Craig McClanahan