tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: RequestDispatcher breaks cookies, response headers
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2000 23:52:15 GMT
Colin Evans wrote:

> When a RequestDispatcher.include() is done, *no* return headers are set at
> all, except for "Content-Type".  It doesn't matter where the headers are
> set.  This includes return headers that the Tomcat container is supposed to
> set automatically for all servlet requests, such as "Content-Length" and
> "Servlet-Engine" headers and any HTTP session cookies.

Where are you trying to set the headers?  As I pointed out from the spec, an
included servlet is not allowed to set them -- only the outermost calling
servlet can do so.

> RequestDispatcher.forward() seems to function correctly.  My guess is that
> Tomcat is supposed to delete any return headers set during an include and
> not touch headers set by the dispatching servlet, and instead it is deleting
> all of the return headers set during the request, including headers that
> should be returned as per the spec.

There was a bug in 3.1 that caused headers set before a forward call to be
thrown away, but that's been fixed in 3.2.  A forwarded-to servlet is allowed to
set headers, but not an included servlet.

> I hope this helps; let me know if you need more explanations.
>
> -Colin

Craig