tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Strange behavior with context mapping and <load-on-startup>
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2000 23:35:02 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> David Soroko wrote:
>
> > I am observing the following behavior which I do not understand (Tomcat 3.1
> > and 3.2b6)
> >
> > The setup:
> >
> > The appdev Hello sample servlet to which the method  init (ServletConfig
> > config)
> > has been added. It just prints a line of text.
> >
> > To the servlet's web.xml the <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> element
> > has been added
> >
> > To the server.xml the Context element has been added:
> >        <Context path=""
> >                  docBase="webapps/myapp"
> >                  debug="0"
> >                  >
> >         </Context>
> >
> > What I see, is that  when Tomcat starts the init() method is being invoked
> > twice.
> >
> > Is this a correct behavior or is there something illegal about path="" ?
> >

> David,
>
> Try as I might, I could not reproduce this with Tomcat 3.2 -- it always seems
> to call my init() method once and only once like it is supposed to.  The only
> thing I can think of that might trigger what you are seeing is if you edited
> the file $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml instead of the web.xml inside your web
> application -- that would cause the servlet to get loaded once per web
> application (at least under 3.1).
>
> If this is not what you did, could you please zip up a copy of the web
> application directory you are using, so that I can reproduce exactly what you
> are seeing?

Once upon a time this happened when an application was defined by a <Context>
element and stored in the default webapps directory. Tomcat created one context
for the <Context> declaration and one for the the WAR (or expanded WAR) it found
in the webapps directory.

I haven't tested if this is the case still, but it might be. If so, I suggest
you
leave it as it is in 3.2. The simple work-around is to store applications
defined
by <Context> elements somewhere else than in webapps.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com