tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Hello? Anybody?
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:49:33 GMT
Larry Isaacs wrote:

> Thanks Craig,
>
> To support this behavior, should the spec require that for a JSP that is
> "included" or "forwarded", handlePageException() is required to propagate
> the exception back to the caller?  Currently, it just says that if there is
> no error page, it should "perform some implementation dependent action."
> Was the "implementation dependent action" intended only for the original,
> i.e. non-"included" and non-"forwarded", servlet or JSP?

Yah, the JSP spec's description of PageContext.handlePageException() is not very
helpful in the included/forwarded scenario.  It would seem to me that you'd want to
throw IOException or ServletException (assuming that there is no error page defined)
under any circumstance -- included/forwarded or not -- so that the servlet container
would handle this problem for JSP pages just like it does for servlets.

 I'll forward a comment suggesting this clarification to the spec lead
(jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com).  It will need to get discussed by the JSR-053 expert
group.

> Larry

Craig