tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@central.sun.com>
Subject Re: Servlet - Jini - Tomcat3.1
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:45:57 GMT

> list-help: <mailto:tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> list-post: <mailto:tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> From: "Flávio Rodrigo M. de Carvalho" <mcrod@ig.com.br>
> To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Servlet - Jini - Tomcat3.1
>
> Hi all,
>
>     My servlet is getting the following exception when running on Tomcat3.1.
> This happens when I try to get the reference of a jini service (by a unicast
> call) :
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.protocol.WARConnection
>
> A friend told me that it is a bug from Tomcat and that there would be a fix
> for that. I have no idea what this could be. Is there any special
> configuration to use in Tomcat3.1 to use with jini services ? What is this
> excepion about ?

Flavio,

I am not aware that there is anything specific with regards to Jini
and Jakarta-Tomcat (our application actually advertises its embedded
tomcat webserver as a Jini service).

As far as your question 'what it this exception about':

	a WARConnection is a class that extends URLConnection, in order
	to do WAR (Web Application Resource) loading

check the javadoc for java.net.URLCOnnection:

	"The abstract class URLConnection is the superclass of all classes that
	represent a communications link between the application and a URL.
	Instances of this class can be used both to read from and to write to
	the resource referenced by the URL. In general, creating a connection
	to a URL is a multistep process: ..."

----

It is not clear from your description what you are trying to do.

   . does your server issue a query to obtain a Jini service reference from
     a lookup server ?

   . are you expecting that the Jini service will upload the WAR over
     the net to be incorporated ?

Arieh