tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Evans" <cev...@bitmo.com>
Subject HttpServletResponse.encodeURL is broken for relative URLs
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:20:37 GMT
Hi, it appears that HttpServletResponse.encodeURL refuses to add a
JSESSIONID to relative URLs for Tomcat 3.1 and 3.2b6.  I looked at the code,
and it appears that HttpServletResponseFacade.isEncodeable() always returns
false on URL strings that are not fully qualified, and this causes encodeURL
to always ignore relative URLs.

I can't find anything in the javadoc or servlet spec saying that encodeURL
is supposed to ignore relative URLs.  Since using relative URLs for internal
navigation around websites is considered a standard practice, my guess is
that encodeURL is supposed work correctly with relative URLs.  Am I mistaken
in this?

This is a bad bug for me; I'm writing Palm VII sites, and Palm web clippings
don't support cookies at all, which makes HttpServletResponse.encodeURL
important.

Thanks!
-Colin

--