BugRat Report # 202

Project: Tomcat Release: Tomcat 3.1
Category: Bug Report SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: _Anonymous ( anonymous-bug@cortexity.com )
Date Submitted: Oct 3 2000, 09:27:22 CDT
Responsible: Z_Tomcat Alias ( tomcat-bugs@cortexity.com )

Synopsis:
XML notation for JSP scriptlet causes scriptlet not to run
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
1.2.2, Win NT, 4, Intel

Additional Environment Description:

Report Description:
Using JDeveloper, I can compile and run successfully a JSP using a scriptlet defined as follows: <% if (request.getQueryString() == null) actions = "NEW"; else actions = request.getQueryString(); %> or as follows: if (request.getQueryString() == null) actions = "NEW"; else actions = request.getQueryString(); however if the second version of the JSP is deployed to Tomcat the scriptlet never gets executed when the page is loaded. I pulled my hair out trying to understand why my variable (declared earlier in the page) wasn't filled and a null pointer was occurring! When I made the syntax shorthand (<%) instead of longhand () it deployed fine. Is this a bug? According to the Fileds/Kolb book (Web Devt with JSP) the forms should be interchangeable. Thanks, Simon (simon.cullen@alcoa.com.au)

Workaround:
null

View this report online...