tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:59:09 GMT
| An RPM should never target /usr/local - /usr/local is defined as
| being for user installed programs, whereas something installed
| from an RPM, by
| definition, is a system installed program and should go into
| /usr
| arguably this doesn't hold as true with Java, but I agree
| strongly with Debian's Java Packaging policy...

I'd say that /usr/local can be used for things that doesn't come with the
distribution. I guess several OS'es put this under /opt..?

But I think that /usr/local really is for things that is developed "in
house", that isn't on any distribution.

When it comes to configuration, I think that should be put under /etc, and
if several files, under /etc/somename. I hate looking around for some
stupid config file. Every configfile under UNIX should live under /etc, if
you ask me..! And then, when we're at it, it should be illegal to package
something that resembles a server without a init.d script!

Endre.