tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Marc.McDon...@Design-Intelligence.com
Subject [BUG] Tomcat incompatible with Xerces parser
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 02:23:18 GMT
Reported as bug 191.

Tomcat defines the org.w3c.dom.Document interface which is missing at least
one method that is in the current DOM. This interface is used rather than
the one in Xerces.jar. The result is a 'No Method' exception while running
under Tomcat.

The method concerned is importNode, though there may be others.

I found this in an application using Xerces that I just extended to modify
and import into the DOM tree.

I can think of 2 possible solutions:
1. Change the xml.jar/parser.jar to not use org.w3c.dom path
2. Change tomcat to use Xerces by changing the classes in tomcat.util.xml

I can't do the first since the source download didn't appear to include the
jars. The second is turning out to be a bit messy due to use of a number of
deprecated classes and instances. The first would be a better fix since any
further Xerces changes would not cause the problem to pop up again.

Thx,
Marc McDonald
Design Intelligence