tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: jsessionid wierdness
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:26:24 GMT
Arieh Markel wrote:

> > > Given that the behavior isn't spec'd, I would tend to take measures in my
> app
> > > to avoid situations where behavior is not guaranteed to be portable.
> >
> > How about making it a configurable option?
>
> I would like that:
>
>         session search order = cookie, url, <whatever else>
>
> or
>
>         <Parameter name="sessionSearchItem"
>                 value="cookie" \>
>
>         <Parameter name="sessionSearchItem"
>                 value="url" \>
>
> Implementation-wise, implement an 'addSessionSearchItem()' method
> (and 'getSessionSearchItem()' for completeness).
>
> (Obviously, order is preserved ...)
>
> Arieh

I have submitted a request for a clarification to the spec lead for the Servlet
spec.  I wouldn't expect instant turnaround, given the timing versus ongoing work on
2.3.

In the absence of a final ruling, I would be very concerned about implementing this
kind of a configuration option.  People who start out with Tomcat will wittingly or
unwittingly create apps that depend on this behavior, and be sorely disappointed
when they try to move their application to a servlet container that does things
differently.

But what the hey ... both of you guys are committers ... (see
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor for the code that does this
parsing).

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat