tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 proposal question
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:37:04 GMT
Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM wrote:

> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> >
> > None of this, however, should change one other
> > thing we should be doing -- including the
> > pre-built binaries with the binary *distribution*
> > of Tomcat 3.2.  This is a task that can be
> > handled by the person who assembles the
> > distribution, totally independently of whether
> > the binaries are in CVS or not.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to do this when the binaries may be
> coming asynchronously from many different contributors?

Ant has a similar situation with its optional tasks -- few people have the
prerequisite software to compile *all* of them, so a call goes out for
volunteers to compile the various tasks.  The release manager coordinates
the combination of all these tasks into a JAR file (optional.jar) that is
included with the Ant release -- but optional.jar is not itself in the CVS
hierarchy.

Note that, because of the manual intervention required, they do this only
for release builds, not for nightlies.  I would suggest the same policy
here.

For Tomcat, all we would need to do is assemble the prebuilt binaries we
are already putting on to the website into a "native" directory that is
hand-copied into the output of "build dist", before packaging it into
tar.gz, tar.Z, and zip formats.

> - Sam Ruby

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat