tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: JMX download broken?
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:17:38 GMT
Bob Jamison wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > > Hi, all,
> > >
> > > I downloaded the JMX reference lib to my laptop
> > > over the weekend, and did Tomcat4 builds without problem, but
> > > this morning at work I cannot do the same.  It says
> > > "cannot export to your location."  I think it must be
> > > broken, as I tried loading from several machines,
> > > including a couple of which I -know- have authoritative
> > > DNS names.  Hope it's temporary.
> >
> > Can I get more information on the problem ? Unfortunately, I can't reproduce
> > it on my Windows machine.
> >

> Thanks for checking.
>
> Oh well,  last night I uploaded it from my laptop to the server
> at work, so I can compile again.
>
> The reason I am cvs-downloading and building often, is that
> I notice Craig McC is chacking in a LOT of new stuff, and
> I want to make sure I have a current API.

:-)

That will continue to happen as we implement the remaining features of the servlet
2.3 and jsp 1.2 apis.

>  I am writing
> (actually, have written) a JNI/C wrapper for using his
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded
> class.  I can't get the contexts/docBases to work, the way they are
> in the example in the .java file.  I guess I'll need to research
> it a little more.   It doesn't want a WAR file as the docBase, but
> apparently a directory with WAR files in it...  It is failing on
> (!file.isDirectory()).

The "docBase" element itself must point at a *directory* containing your web app.
If you're setting things up via the Embedded class you should use an absolute
pathname here -- that's what org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina does when you
start Catalina from the command line.

There are a bunch of dependencies, such as the way webapp class loaders are set
up, on the document root being a directory (not a war file) in the Catalina code,
and even more in Jasper (so that it can check whether a JSP page has been changed
or not).  It is unlikely that I'm going to have time to address this issue in the
near term, but running out of a WAR file is on the list of things I'd like to see.

> Anyway, thanks again.
>
> Bob

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat