tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From GOMEZ Henri <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 3.2 proposal question
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:39:40 GMT
>RedHat ( at least the version installed on my computer) uses
>/home/httpd for
>all "writable" apache files, and /etc/httpd and /usr/sbin for
>config and exe.

Redhat 7.0 use now /var/www/html/ as DocumentRoot ;-)

>Tomcat 3.2 should work with a split directory _if_ full paths
>are used in config
>file - I tested this few times and it seemed to work fine, but
>of course you'll
>to do much more testing and I would say this is very dangerous
>( you can provide
>it as an experimental or optional RPM, it's certainly not
>something we can
>Anyway - the code is in.

I'll take a look at it and modify accordingly the server.xml.

>For 3.3 it'll definitely be possible - the home, install and
>all relative paths
>are resolved by an interceptor that can be replaced, and we
>have plenty of time
>to test this. I'm all +1 on doing that. There are many other
>enhacements that
>will make this very easy ( like the fact that the .sh/.bat
>file will no longer
>be needed
>or will be much simpler, etc).

Very nice.

>I still think that we should use /opt for all system ( read-only )
>files. I don't think tomcat.jar should end up in /usr/lib or
>something like
>that, and it's much better to use the /opt conventions ( each
>package with
>it's own dir ) than /usr/local ( all packages mixed in
>/usr/local/bin, etc).
>But you're making the rpm - so it's your call ( I'm -0 on
>changing /opt ).

I'm waiting for a general poll about that. There is actually no
real convention for deploying java apps on a Unix systems.

I'll send a question to Tomcat, Xerces, Xalan and Cocoon list
these days.

View raw message