tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <news....@husted.com>
Subject Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:24:53 GMT
I'd chime in to say that /home is where the user-created and
user-edited files should generally go.

So, < /home/tomcat/webapps > is something I would do, since * I * own
the webapps.

But I wouldn't but the package binaries there, so the rest would go
under

<  /usr/local/tomcat/bin >

The conf files are negotiable in that the binaries use them like their
own, but they are something that I customize. I tend to leave them out
of home, but back them up into home.

A RPM might want to install the binaries into the same tree, and then
leave moving the user-directores as a post-configuration issue. But I
would say an RPM should target < /usr >  or < /usr/local > rather than
< /home >.

I've head read hat is using < /var > for the HTTPD root, which seems
very strange to me. I thought < /var > was for temporary and transitory
files, not regular content. Perhaps that is there compromise between
using < /usr > and < /home > for content.

On 10/16/2000 at 2:40 PM Endre Stølsvik wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

| Application (cocoon, tomcat) goes in /home :
|
| 	/home/tomcat/bin/... /home/tomcat/webapps/...
| 	/home/cocoon/bin/... /home/cocoon/conf/...

Is it good to have _anything_ application/system specific in /home?
Redhat
had their http things there untill 7.0 (but it's now moved). This is
really annoying if you have mountet an NFS server's /home on your home,
the NFS server also have a httpd, and you want to have a httpd running.
  /home is very often mounted from a server, and having "system
specific"
or "system needed" files there generally doesn't sound like the most
excellent idea to me.

--
Mvh,
Endre