tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #269 has been filed.
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:27:48 GMT
Bug report #269 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/269>

REPORT #269 Details.

Project: Jasper
Category: Feature Requests
SubCategory: Enhancement
Class: feature
State: received
Severity: non-critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat, all 3.x versions (possibly 4.x as well)
   JVM Release: Kaffe
   Operating System: Linux (Red Hat)
   OS Release: N/A
   Platform: N/A

Synopsis:
java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException when processing JSP

A "java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: UTF8" is thrown when
generating the servlet for a JSP file when the Kaffe VM is used.
The "UTF8" encoding name is hardcoded in the Compiler class as
the encoding for the generated servlet source code file.

I believe the reason for using "UTF8" as opposed to "UTF-8" (note
the dash) is that this is the only name supported in JDK 1.1.

I suggest adding an init parameter to JspServlet for setting the
encoding name when "UTF8" doesn't work.