tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #200 has been filed.
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 23:26:28 GMT
Bug report #200 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/200>

REPORT #200 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 3.1
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: Solaris
   OS Release: 2.8
   Platform: Sun Sparc

Synopsis:
Simultaneous requests from browsers cause data returned by JSPs to be garbled

We have a servlet that queries an Oracle DB. The data that is returned is stored in a Vector
that is passed from the servlet to a JSP to be rendered to the client browser.

Everything works like a charm when we have a single client browser firing the query.

But when two or more (we tested for 3) client browsers fire the same query simultaneously,
the results are inconsistent. Sometimes all the client browsers get the correct results. Sometimes
some records are missing for one of the clients, while another client may get multiple copies
of the same record.

the flow is as follows:- BROWSER -> SERVLET -> ORACLE -> SERVLET -> JSP ->
BROWSER.

The results that come back from ORACLE to the servlet are fine.  We checked that by writing
those out to a different file.

We are capturing the results from the database in a Vector Object in the servlet and passing
that Vector on to the JSP.

According to my knowledge, each client request creates a seperate instance of the servlet
and hence each client request can be associated with a unique Vector Object. I believe the
JSESSIONID variable ensures that Tomcat knows which Vector Object belongs to which client
browser.

We are suspecting our problem lies when the data is being passed on to the client browser.
Is there something special we need to add in our JSP?

Any help would be most welcome.

We suspect that the problem lies in