tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #201 has been filed.
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 02:27:16 GMT
Bug report #201 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/201>

REPORT #201 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: non-critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.1
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: Win NT
   OS Release: 4
   Platform: Intel

Synopsis:
XML notation for JSP scriptlet causes scriptlet not to run

Using JDeveloper, I can compile and run successfully a JSP using a scriptlet defined as follows:

<%  if (request.getQueryString() == null)
      actions = "NEW";
    else
      actions = request.getQueryString(); %>

or as follows:

<jsp:scriptlet>
    if (request.getQueryString() == null)
      actions = "NEW";
    else
      actions = request.getQueryString();
</jsp:scriptlet>

however if the second version of the JSP is deployed to Tomcat the scriptlet never gets executed
when the page is loaded.  I pulled my hair out trying to understand why my variable (declared
earlier in the page) wasn't filled and a null pointer was occurring!

When I made the syntax shorthand (<%) instead of longhand (<jsp:scriptlet>) it deployed
fine.

Is this a bug?  According to the Fileds/Kolb book (Web Devt with JSP) the forms should be
interchangeable.

Thanks,
Simon