tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #208 has been filed.
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:07:41 GMT
Bug report #208 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/208>

REPORT #208 Details.

Project: Jasper
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: serious
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.2B
   JVM Release: 1.2
   Operating System: Linux
   OS Release: Mandrak 7.0
   Platform: x86

Synopsis:
Default for included files is 8859_1, with no option to set otherwise.

The default for reading an included file is ISO_8859_1.
We can, of course, set pageConent to read UTF-8 (which is
what we need it to be to support international code).
Unfortunately, when there are two or more levels of
encoding (or the pageContent type ins't set), the encoding
that the JspReader gets set to a hard-coded "ISO_8859_1", and
doesn't allow this to be set to anything else via the
runtime system properties.

In:

org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader

JspReader.java

line 158,

encoding ALWAYS defaults to 8859_1, and the file.encoding,
when set from the System properties.

This is an easy fix, to set encoding to:
encoding = System.getPropert("file.encoding","8859_1") ;

The result, typically, is that the file will flake out and convert
all of the non-UTF-8 characters to US-ASCII, @%, etc.