mod_jserv Apache Directives

These are written directly into the Apache configuration file httpd.conf or included from $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/tomcat.conf via the Apache Include file directive.

ApJServAction directive

Syntax: ApJServAction extension servlet-uri
Default: NONE

Tomcat action mapping extension to servlets.

Executes a servlet passing filename with proper extension in PATH_TRANSLATED property of servlet request.
Notes: This is (was?) used for ServerSide includes, like GSP or JServSSI which handles the tags.
From Apache JServ. Obsolete?

Example:

ApJServAction .jhtml /servlets/org.apache.jserv.servlets.JServSSI

ApJServBalance directive

Syntax: ApJServBalance value1 value2 value3
Default: ApJServBalance [?] [?] [?]

Tomcat load-balancing server set.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

ApJServDefaultHost directive

Syntax: ApJServDefaultHost hostname
Default: ApJServDefaultHost localhost

The default host running Tomcat.

ApJServDefaultProtocol directive

Syntax: ApJServDefaultProtocol name
Default: ApJServDefaultProtocol ajpv12

The default protocol used for connecting to Tomcat.

ApJServDefaultPort directive

Syntax: ApJServDefaultPort number
Default: ApJServDefaultPort 8007

The default port on which Tomcat is running on.

ApJServHost directive

Syntax: ApJServHost value1 value2 value3
Default: ApJServHost [?] [?] [?]

Tomcat host definition.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

ApJServEnvVar directive

Syntax: ApJServEnvVar value1 value2
Default: ApJServEnvVar [?] [?]

Tomcat: protocol ajpv12 : env var to send to the server.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

ApJServLogFile directive

Syntax: ApJServLogFile filename
Default: ApJServLogFile ./logs/jserv.log

Tomcat log file relative to Apache root directory. When "DISABLED" is supplied the log will be redirected to Apache error log.

ApJServLogLevel directive

Syntax: ApJServLogLevel debug / info / notice / warn / error / crit / alert / emerg
Default: ApJServLogLevel ?

Tomcat log verbosity. (Is the above precendence correct?)

ApJServManual directive

Syntax: ApJServManual off / on
Default: ApJServManual off

Whether Tomcat is running in manual (user-started) or automatic (started by Apache) mode.
Automatically starting Tomcat is not implemented yet. (on=Manual / off=Autostart)

ApJServMount directive

Syntax: ApJServMount name jserv-url [value3?]
Default: NONE

Where Tomcat servlets will be mounted under Apache.
name is the name of the Apache virtual path to mount jserv-url on jserv-url. Something like "protocol://host:port/zone".

If protocol, host or port are not specified then the values from "ApJServDefaultProtocol", "ApJServDefaultHost" or "ApJServDefaultPort" will be used. If zone is not specified all zones will be mounted as sub directories of name.

Example:

ApJServMount /servlets ajpv11:localhost:8007
If user requests "http://host/servlets/kzla/Class" the servlet "Class" in zone "kzla" will be executed.
Example:
ApJServMount /servlets /kzla
If user requests "http://host/servlets/Class" the servlet "Class" in zone "kzla" on default host through default protocol on default port will be executed.

ApJServMountCopy directive

Syntax: ApJServMountCopy on / off
Default: ApJServMountCopy on

Whether <VirtualHost> inherits base host mount points or not.

ApJServProperties directive

Syntax: ApJServProperties filename
Default: ApJServProperties ./conf/jserv.properties

The full pathname of jserv.properties file. In Manual mode this directive is ignored.

ApJServProtocolParameter directive

Syntax: ApJServProtocolParameter name parameter value
Default: NONE

Tomcat protocol-dependant property.
Passes parameter and value to specified protocol.
Notes: Currently no protocols handle this. It is kept for future protocols compatibility.

ApJServProtocolProperty directive

Syntax: ApJServProtocolProperty value1 value2 value3
Default: ApJServProtocolProperty [?] [?] [?]

I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

ApJServRetryAttempts directive

Syntax: ApJServRetryAttempts value
Default: ApJServRetryAttempts [?]

Tomcat retry attempts (1 sec apart) before returning server error.
I don't know what this value is, or what this does.

ApJServRoute directive

Syntax: ApJServRoute value1 value2
Default: ApJServRoute [?] [?]

Tomcat host routing identifier.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

ApJServSecretKey directive

Syntax: ApJServSecretKey filename
Default: ApJServSecretKey ./conf/jserv.secret.key

Tomcat secret key file relative to Apache root directory. When "DISABLED" is supplied the authentication (for secure communication) will be disabled. This feature is not yet implemented.

ApJServShmFile directive

Syntax: ApJServShmFile value
Default: ApJServShmFile [?]

The full pathname of shared memory file.
I don't know what this value is, or what this does.

ApJServVMTimeout directive

Syntax: ApJServVMTimeout value
Default: ApJServVMTimeout 10

Tomcat: the amount of time given for the JVM to start or stop.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does. (for ApJServManual off ?)

ApJServVMInterval directive

Syntax: ApJServVMInterval value
Default: ApJServVMInterval 10

Tomcat: the interval between 2 polls of the JVM.
I don't know what these values are, or what this does.

This is very much a first draft of the mod_jserv documentation. Please send corrections to mpercy@portera.com and/or help this document find the right people to include it in the official distribution. Thank you.

Regards,
Michael Percy