BugRat Report # 185

Project: Tomcat Release: Tomcat/3.3dev
Category: Bug Report SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: Tim Kientzle ( kientzle@acm.org )
Date Submitted: Sep 29 2000, 11:46:55 CDT
Responsible: Z_Tomcat Alias ( tomcat-bugs@cortexity.com )

Setting Last-Modified within doGet results in duplicate Last-Modified headers
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
JDK 1.2.2, FreeBSD, 3.3, Intel

Additional Environment Description:

Report Description:
Within my doGet() routine, I manually set Last-Modified using: setDateHeader("Last-Modified", modificationTime); I also implement getLastModified(). If getLastModified returns a valid value, then the response generated has duplicate Last-Modified headers. Looking at jakarta-servletapi/.../javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.java, it appears that the service() routine sets a Last-Modified header before calling doGet(), which suggests that setDateHeader() is broken and fails to correctly override the previous definition. I looked through jakarta-tomcat/.../util/MimeHeaders.java and couldn't see what might cause this behavior.

View this report online...