BugRat Report # 140

Project: Tomcat Release: 3.1
Category: Bug Report SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: Lars Jonsson ( lars.jonsson@smartsimplesolutions.com )
Date Submitted: Sep 20 2000, 12:39:02 CDT
Responsible: Z_Tomcat Alias ( tomcat-bugs@cortexity.com )

Synopsis:
Unable to set up servlet mapping '*.x.y'
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
1.1.8, Linux, Red Hat 6.0, Intel

Additional Environment Description:

Report Description:
Setting up a servlet mapping '*.y' makes it possible to map uri's ending i '.y' to a specific servlet. But using a servlet mapping of the form '*.x.y' does not seem to match 'zzyyx.x.y'. This mapping works in other servlet engines I have tried. '*.x.y' is really just a special case of the '*.y' form, so there is no reason for why it should not work. The reason for wanting this special case is when generating content of a specific type, .pdf for example. I do not want this mapping to interfere with my static .pdf files, I just want it to apply to dynamically generated .pdf files (xyz..generated.pdf for example). So why don't I just set the mime type to application/acrobat or whatever? Because Microlist Exploiter does not seem to be able to make the connection between the mime type and the application to execute, it requires the "correct" file type. Also it helps the browser suggest a more appropriate filename to the user (with the correct file type).

View this report online...