tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Fyfe" <...@cnicorp.com>
Subject RE: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 was closed(apparently by: Craig R.)
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:16:16 GMT
Bernd Eilers <bei@stardivision.de> wrote:
	>You can use a Front Component Servlet mapped to / that intercepts every
>request and then uses a RequestDispatcher dispatching to eg. lowercased
>version of the URL.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, this does not help with static content
that is served by IIS. If Tomcat served every resource, the whole problem would
go away because when the user enters an URL with the wrong case he would
immediately get an error. I am only concerned with the case where IIS serves
the static content with one rule on case sensitivity, and Tomcat serves just
the dynamic content with a different rule.

>Anyway from my experience using relative URLs in Web Applications is a
>bad idea anyway,
[snip]
>A better solution is to use absolute URL's and generate them by using the
>methods available in the servlet and JSP API request.getContextPath() ,
>request.getServletPath(), ...

Maybe so, but this still won't help with static html served by IIS with no
involvement from Tomcat.

Steve Fyfe
CNI Corporation
Milford New Hampshire