tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Bauman <n...@cortexity.com>
Subject RE: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 was close d(apparently by: Craig R.)
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 01:25:41 GMT
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Peter V. Gadjokov wrote:

> Why do we keep referring to this as a Windows or IIS 'problem' or even
> 'subtle lock-in'? I'm not a big fan of Windows or many MS products
> myself but I think portraying this as an MS problem is inaccurate. The
> whole thing is largely a consequence of case-insensitive comparison in
> filenames and paths under Windows. Case is preserved but not used to
> distinguish one path from another. This is a _different_ design

Your USENIX quote is fantastic! It shows how a reality-distortion-field
can project from an actual seemingly-innocuous paper! Case-insensitivity
in a filesystem is a HACK. Will always be a HACK and only compounds the
useablility problems it tries to solve. It is also a "different design
decision" too. So it looks nice on a bulleted marketing prospectus.

Many times in the design of generic frameworks and libraries, descisions
have to be made to accommodate architectures that tend to "deviate from
the norm". Upon closer examination, turns out they deviate because the are
crappy and ill-conceived. There are many such examples through the history
of computing. This is one of them.