tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: WEB-INF classloading and on the fly compilation
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:26:31 GMT

> That's a problem related to the compiler, relying on files instead on
> classes loaded by the classloaders... I know that at Olliance they're
> thinking about distributing WEB-APPs on a set of different servlet
> engines (a some sort of load balancing but with more guts :). This will
> surely add lots of hacks in class-loading mechanisms, since WEB-APPs
> WARs will be loaded from the network and so on...
> If the compiler relies on files on the disk, then, we're screwed,
> because we cannot possibly have a portable servlet using on-the-fly
> compilation...

Deployment != Runtime.

A compiler is a very complex tool, with a very narrow goal - to produce
bytecode from a java source. It doesn't try to be the coolest
distributable-location-independent-load-from-network app.

I would be more than happy if the compiler would do a good job at
generating a reasonable good code at a reasonable speed.

Costin