tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject RE: Case Sensitivity in URLs
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 05:07:52 GMT

> >Please stop this thread- if you want the problem to be solved please
> >create a patch and make it available.
>
> Will do. It may not sounds like it but I have little interest in
> discussing its fundamental rightness or wrongness either.

We are all programmers and our job is to resolve some
problems. And most of the time the users are right. IMHO it's a mistake to
think our tools ( and the standards we use are just tools! ) are more
important than people who use our code.

BTW, the SHOULD in the HTTP spec is not an accident - most IETF standards
I know follow the same principle of beeing tolerant in their input.
Apache even have a module to fix spelling errors - it's certainly not part
of the HTTP specification.
( you can check if this doesn't solve your problem BTW - it may be exactly
what you need !)

Costin