tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject [4.0dev] Catalina dies with Connection reset by peer exception
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:57:19 GMT
I've been using 4.0dev with Cocoon and have an intriguing problem:

Connecting through one web browser I have no problems at all [OmniWeb].
Connecting through another [IE] Tomcat dies regularly with an uncaught
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer.  If I repeatedly
restart Tomcat (whenever it dies) the page I'm accessing eventually appears
in its entirety, but Tomcat appears to serve only one or two graphics per
session before death.

Here's the stack trace:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: Connection reset by peer
   at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
   at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:90)
   at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:190)
   at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:208)
   at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.read(HttpProcessor.java:865)
   at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.parseRequest(HttpProcessor.java:608)
   at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:756)
   at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:904)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

With my limited knowledge I would have thought that a 'connection reset by
peer' exception should just be caught with the specific operation being
abandoned, but Tomcat staying up.

Is this a known bug in Tomcat/Catalina,  a configuration fault at my end,
or perhaps a JVM specific issue?

Thanks,

Stuart.