tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject Question About DefaultCMSetter.java
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:02:35 GMT
Hi Costin,

I am trying to determine if my assumption about ExceptionHandler and StatusHandler not including
"<html>" and "<body>" tags, while the others do, is significant.  My recent changes
to ContextManager.java in tomcat_32 assumed that it was.  As a result, ContextManager.handleException()
doesn't call res.resetBuffers() if ExceptionHandler is going to be used, to avoid clearing
"<html>" and "<body>" tags that may already be present.  I also modified handleStatus()
to do the same if StatusHandler is going to be used.

Is this assumption valid, or should ExceptionHandler and StatusHandler be including the "<html>"
and "<body>" tags too.  Was there a reason these tags were omitted?

The main reason I ask is that if optionally calling "res.resetBuffer()" in handleStatus()
is correct, I need to update HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError() to call "response.resetBuffer()"
itself to insure it gets called as required by the spec.  Otherwise, I would have handleStatus()
always call "res.resetBuffer()" as it did prior to my change.

I am planning to modify ContextManger.java to enclose the "res.resetBuffer()" in a "try-catch"
as suggested by Danno Ferrin in an earlier e-mail.  This avoid throwing an unnecessary exception
which fouls up the intended response.  How I modify it depends on whether the resetBuffer()
call should be optional.

Thanks,
Larry

Larry Isaacs