tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 3.2 beta3?
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 17:28:40 GMT
Even on NT 4.0, if TOMCAT_HOME contains spaces, the "for" command will malfunction.

I'm +1 for changing the batch files to set the classpath explicitly and tolerate spaces in

If no one has strong objections, I'll update this over the weekend.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Bergsten []
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 3.2 beta3?

Okay, I believe I have solved all the mysteries now, see below.

Hans Bergsten wrote:
> [...]
> I have tested Beta 3 with a number of sample JSP applications, with heavy
> use of tag libraries, and everything works fine on NT 4.0 with JDK 1.2.2
> and JDK 1.3.
> Unfortunately I can't get it to work at all on Windows 98 :-(
> First of all, a minor detail that I'm sure is known and will be fixed
> in the real distribution package: all BAT files have Unix linend characters
> so they won't run on Windows 98. That was easy to fix.

I hope the above can be fixed in the build process. Sam?

> More serious is that the
>   for %%i in (%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\*.jar) do call %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\cpappend.bat
> %%i
> trick in tomcat.bat doesn't work when TOMCAT_HOME is set to an absolute
> path for some reason. If I let the BAT file set it to "." this part works.

It turns out that the "for" command in Windows 98 only can deal with
wildcard paths that include at the most one directory level. So "foo\*.jar"
works but "foo\bar\*.jar" doesn't.

An ugly way to fix this is to add "cd %TOMCAT_HOME%" before executing the
"for" command. A better way is to remove the "for" command and add explicit
"set" commands for all JAR files in %TOMCAT_HOME%\lib (like it used to be):

  set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jasper.jar
  set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jaxp.jar
  set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\parser.jar
  set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\servlet.jar
  set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\webserver.jar

My vote is for the latter. Can someone please fix this before Tomcat 3.2
goes final?

> But even when I have the CLASSPATH right, all attempts to access
> resources (HTML files, JSP files or servlets) in any context other
> than the default fails with a 404. I don't know what's going on
> there ...

You learn something every day. This turned out to be a problem with upper/lower
case file names. I had unzipped the Tomcat ZIP file with NT booted on a
dual-boot machine. When I booted up Windows 98 and tried to access the files,
they had all uppercase names as far as Windows 98 was concerned. Unzipping
the file again under Windows 98 solved the problem. *sigh*

Hans Bergsten
Gefion Software

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: