tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject win98 dos windows and logging
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2000 07:48:00 GMT
Here is the problem:

I'm running Tomcat (latest CVS version) and my servlet is throwing a nasty
exception during startup. On Win98, the MS-DOS windows do not seem to have a
way to add a scrollbar to the right hand side (this is possible to do with
WinNT MS-DOS windows, but I can't figure out how to do it with Win98, please
tell me if you know how!), so what happens is that the exception prints to
the screen and scrolls right off the top of the window. Thus, I cannot see
the top of the exception and I can't figure out the reason for my bug.

This would be fine if the output ended up in a file somewhere, but it
doesn't. So, I have tried all sorts of things like piping the output through
more (that doesn't seem to do the job). I have also tried to mess with
Tomcat's server.xml and logging features and that doesn't seem to put the
output of this particular exception into a file for some reason.

Of course moving to Unix isn't part of the solution right now so don't bring
that up please. I want this to work on my Win98 box and I'm sure that other
Tomcat users will as well.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem? All I want is a copy of
the output. :-(

thanks,

-jon

--