tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Nacho <na...@siapi.es>
Subject RE: TC3: proposal - Interceptors
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:30:45 GMT
Hola , Costin:

> My proposal is:
>
> 1. Deprecate RequestInterceptor and ContextInterceptor ( as
> interfaces),
> keep only BaseInterceptor. All 3 implement the same concepts
> -  chain of
> command and strategy pattern, and having a single interface
> will simplify
> future evolution ( see next ).
> There is little or no impact on existing code.
> I also think it will be easier to understand and document, and more
> consistent with the rest of tomcat.

+1 AFAIK now almost all interceptors use a mix between
ContextInterceptor and RequestInterceptor ( at least the ones i know
more deeply ) i dont see any problem to existing code , go for it!! i
love to read your commits..

> 2. In time, add event/listener model interfaces for  all context level
> events. That will have minimal impact on performance ( since
> the callbacks
> happen at startup or on admin changes ). The 2 models can
> work in paralel
> until the interceptors are rewritten.
> This will provide a simpler and more familiar model.
> So far I'm thinking about:
>   package org.apache.tomcat.core.events
>    ContextEvent, ContextListener, ServerEvent, ServerListener,
> EventManager.

+1 on that too , But why not extend the event/listener model to
RequestInterceptor methods too? i dont why this model has a more
performance impact than current, please explain more deeply the point..

> Costin

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega