tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Some questions (Servlet Init, common libraries, and controlling standard out/err)
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:37:35 GMT
Kirk Rasmussen wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I understand what you are saying.  The only thing that I disagree with is
> that catching a run-time exception like ClassNotFoundException or
> NullPointerException in a servlet or normal application code is in most
> cases "A Bad Thing(TM)".  That exception should have bubbled up from my
> servlet to the ContextManager at some point.  It should have at least
> captured a stack trace and put the results in the log.  WebLogic does this
> currently.  It makes problem solving much much easier if you have some idea
> what went wrong.

I agree. I have also been frustrated a few times about how exceptions are
not always reported, but not frustrated enough to do something about it ;-)
This is, after all, an Open Source project so if you have the itch, you can
fix it yourself and submit a patch.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com