tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: loading of classes in tomcat 3.2b4 is _sloooooow_
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:17:41 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:

>         We saw something like this on jBoss once, and I think the slowdown
> was the security system checking access permissions on all the JARs.  When
> we put certain things on the main classpath instead of elsewhere, it got
> way faster.  Just a thought - I know Tomcat has a boatload of ClassLoaders
> just like jBoss.  As you can tell, I'm a little hazy on the specifics, but
> I think Rickard detailed it on the mailing list, so you could search the
> archives at http://www.jboss.org/mailing.htm

Geoff Souter also ran into something like this, and determined that the delay in
his case was do to exactly this.  Removing all the signing stuff from the JAR
files took care of it.

Another possibility is that you're seeing the delay for initializing the random
number generator (SecureRandom), which can take multiple seconds on some
platforms.

> Aaron

Craig