tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Java code generation tomcat JSP's
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:17:12 GMT
Alex Chaffee wrote:

> > 3. is there a way to make Tomcat not emit the comments into the generated
> > java files?  I went thru and stripped out the comments from a couple of the
> > files, and they dropped about 130K out of 440K.  I know, the comments don't
> > affect code size, and the JSP's don't recompile all the time, so this should
> > not affect production speed at all, but I do have to recompile the JSPs tons
> > of times a day, and anything I can to to shave off a second or two makes me
> > happy.
>
> The comments are useful for debugging, at least theoretically.

The help isn't just theoretical.  I understand that there are a couple of IDEs
(Forte is one) that actually scan those comments and uses them in their JSP
debuggers to help you find where the original error is.

There is also a Java Specification Request (#45) under way with the goal of
supporting a "source line map" concept when non-Java languages are translated into
Java and then into class files.  JSPs are a prime use case for that kind of thing
to be done portably.

> Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex@jguru.com

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat