tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pier.fumaga...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: WEB-INF classloading and on the fly compilation
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:17:37 GMT
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Nick Bauman wrote:

> > > Why in the hell run Tomcat as root? Totally unecessary. There's the big
> > > mistake right there.
> >
> > Maybe because we don't have a small native library to change the UID.
> > Volunteers :-) ?
> >
> > ( in case you run tomcat standalone on port 80 you need to start as
> > root to get the port, but java can't change the id.
> > I believe a production site should run apache+tomcat, but of course
> > some people have a different opinion )
>
> It's coming kids... It's coming (I just have to write a small
> configuration parser...) I promise it will be in the CVS and in binary
> to download by the end of this week... PROMISE!

I AM AN IDIOT (Yes, I publically admit it)...

Ok, in my code, I change userID before starting up the VM, but that
prevents (of course) the creation of a ServerSocket from within the JVM
(because when the socket is created, the USER ID is already set to be !=
root).

So, the USER ID must be switched after the socket is created, but that
requires some tweaking in the container code...

I need to figure out a different solution for working around the
problem, I want the container to be usable even if no native libraries
are included...

	Pier