tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: add context.getVersion() and context.getWebAppName() ?
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:04:04 GMT
Daniel Kehoe wrote:

> Tomcat has a context.getDescription() method (it is used in the
> ContextAdmin example).
> Could we also have context.getVersion() and context.getWebAppName() methods?

Since these methods are not in the standard API, these methods would not be
visible to web apps unless you marked them as "trusted".

> I'd like to have a consistent place for a version number and the name of
> the web application.
> It'd be nice if it was in the servlet API, but short of that, could we have
> it in Tomcat?

One pretty simple way to do this kind of thing would be to parse the deployment
descriptor (WEB-INF/web.xml) yourself and extract the information you want.
That way, you would not be tied to Tomcat.  However, I don't see any elements
there (or within Tomcat internally) that the version number of the application
itself is returned.

> Daniel

Craig McClanahan

See you at ApacheCon Europe <>!