tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cmanola...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: WEB-INF classloading and on the fly compilation
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:20:35 GMT
Nick Bauman wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com wrote:
>
> > compilation will cause r00ting of the machine instantly. tomcat runs as
> > root on many systems anyway...a "rm -rf /" would not be nice on a
>
> Why in the hell run Tomcat as root? Totally unecessary. There's the big
> mistake right there.

Maybe because we don't have a small native library to change the UID.
Volunteers :-) ?

( in case you run tomcat standalone on port 80 you need to start as
root to get the port, but java can't change the id.
I believe a production site should run apache+tomcat, but of course
some people have a different opinion )

Costin