tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: BugRat Report #92 was closed (apparently by: Craig R. McC
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2000 00:17:53 GMT
Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> Paths on NT are not case sensitive.

Agreed, but that's not the point.  Resource paths used in HTTP are case sensitive.

> Only the part of the URL after the /servlet needs to be case sensitive.

How do you figure that?  From the point of view of HTTP, the context path and the
"/servlet" prefix are part of the resource path -- the protocol makes absolutely no
distinction between it and the remainder of the path.

If HTTP were a MIcrosoft-only protocol, I'd be in agreement with you.  But it's
not.  Tomcat needs to play by the official specification's rules.

> This also causes a problem when configuring Tomcat to startup as a service if
> the app directory parameter is not typed in the correct case.

Is there something so terribly hard about typing it in the correct case when you
run into this?  :-)

> Can this be changed to support case insensitivity for the part of the part that
> precedes the context?

Can it be changed?  Sure.  Will it be changed?  Not in the official distribution,
if my -1 counts for anything (which it does).

Because this is open source, you are welcome to create yourself a patch to make
your version of Tomcat non-standard in this respect.  But you're not going to like
the performance impact this has on figuring out what webapp a request belongs to,
or what servlet to execute.

> Jonathan

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat