tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: latest cvs is broken
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:15:22 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 9/5/2000 9:52 AM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClanahan@eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My personal recommendation to anyone that plans on using Tomcat right now in
> > production use is, stick with the 3.2 tree.  For future development, I'd
> > suggest looking at the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" module, rather than the most
> > recent
> > CVS code in "jakarta-tomcat" -- that is where the bulk of future development
> > efforts are going (including spec compliance with servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2).
> >
> > Craig McClanahan
>
> It is extremely annoying that CVS is broken. That shouldn't be the case.
> Please don't check in broken code! That is against the rules.
>
> If you die tomorrow, then it is up to us to come in and clean up your mess.
> Not cool.

A couple of points:

* As Jon points out, the "rules of the game" include "thou shalt not cause
  a build of the current CVS tree to fail to compile."  Everyone working on
  Tomcat, or any other Jakarta-hosted project, needs to obey this.  We all
  slip up once in a while, but it's very disruptive to the efforts of other
developers
  when we do.  NOTE:  This not a problem currently -- the last time I checked,
  the main branch in "jakarta-tomcat" does indeed build successfully.

* Anyone using "bleeding edge" code, on any code base, should *not* assume
  that the current code is *functionally* complete and correct if it is under
active
  development.  Thus, anyone who is trying to build webapps on top of Tomcat,
  or build Tomcat into a product, should stick with a milestone/beta/release
  version if they want any stability at all.  That is why, when I suggest people
  consider jakarta-tomcat-4.0, I encourage them to think of it as "pre-alpha"
  code at this point, even though it is quite complete and functional.

* The bulk of future development efforts on Tomcat are going into
  "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" because it was accepted as the code base for the
  next version.  Reliance on the post-3.2 code in "jakarta-tomcat" at all
  isn't a particularly good strategy, for that reason.

> -jon

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat