tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2 beta3?
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 18:21:37 GMT
Hans Bergsten wrote:

> Isn't the contents of the Tomcat lib directory pretty stable at this
> point? Do we really need this "auto lib dir" functionality? I would like
> to see Tomcat 3.2 released ASAP and don't want to hold it up unnecessarily.
> I therefore suggest we add the JAR files explicitly instead; this works
> on both NT and Windows 98, and Larry has promised to fix the BAT file.

The initial reasoning for this change was to allow Tomcat administrators to
make shared library JARs available to installed webapps, without having to
munge around with the CLASSPATH variable themselves.  This facility is provided
by the "tomcat.sh" script used to start Tomcat on Unix systems, so there was a
consistency issue as well.

If we can't get it to work reliably, I guess that I agree we should go back to
the fixed setup approach used in the "tomcat.bat" file in Tomcat 3.1.

> Hans

Craig McClanahan