tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Arieh Markel <Arieh.Mar...@central.sun.com>
Subject Re: loading of classes in tomcat 3.2b4 is _sloooooow_
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:51:50 GMT

> list-help: <mailto:tomcat-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> list-post: <mailto:tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: loading of classes in tomcat 3.2b4 is _sloooooow_
> From: Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com>
> To: tomcat-dev <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> Ok,
>
> Using Tomcat 3.1, Turbine starts up _really_ quickly.
> Using Tomcat 3.2b4, Turbine starts up _really_ slowly.
>
> Once things have initialized, everything runs very quickly.
>
> Turbine has a boat load of .jar files and doing some initial testing, I
> suspect that something in Tomcat changed with regards to class file loading
> because if I remove some of the .jar's that I know I'm not using then things
> speed up.

One of the reasons that was discussed in the past, and that we observed
in our transition from 3.1 to 3.2  is due to the usage of the SecureRandom
static initializer.

In our development environment I implemented what was once discussed
as possible to do (to define a System property to determine whether
to use Random or SecureRandom).

Arieh