tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eilers <...@stardivision.de>
Subject Re: Why are some header values hidden in HttpProcessor.java ?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:08:07 GMT

ReHi !

> > [...]

> > More detailed questions:
> >
> > What is the reason to exclude the "authorisation" header by the following
> > code ?
> >
> > if (!match.equals("authorisation"))
> >         request.addHeader(name,value);
> >

> The concern in this case was that the user credentials might get
> inadvertently exposed -- for example, if you were running SnoopServlet
under
> the protection of a security constraint.  The philosophy behind this is
that
> container managed security should be totally transparent to applications.

Well I do unterstand the intention behind that,  but ...

> For your particular scenario, you can find out the username
> (request.getRemoteUser()) -- you just cannot find the password.

>  However, it
> does make your use case pretty difficult to implement.

> What would you think
> about a configurable parameter that defaults to suppressing this header,
but
> allows you to change this if you need it?

Well, if it was just for that special use case of mine I would say a
configurable parameter is OK and i don't care about what it's default is.

On the other hand i don't really get the argument of inadvertently
exposed credentials.
Either a Authentication mechism is secure or it is not secure.
HTTP/1.1 defines some secure and some lazy secure or insecure
authentication mechanisms.
If access to the Authorisation header reveals security relevant
information this can only be the case if an insecure authentication
mechanism is used anyway ( eg. basic authentication ).

I can see no valid reason to make the endpoints of a client server
connection more secure than what already is revealed over the network
connection. Why should the software running on the server get less
information than the attacking man in the middle. If it can be
/sbin/snoop (ed) on /dev/ether why should a SnoopServlet not see it ?

On the other hand the documentation for getHeaderNames() in the servlet
API is

Returns an enumeration of all the header names this request contains

So if it really is useful for some cases to have that configurable
parameter that allows the container to turn that all to most ( which it
don't really think it is ) this should be clearified in the servlet ( 2.3
) spec and servlet programs should have a some hasAllHeaderNames() kind
of function available.

> > And what is the reason for excluding the jsession Session ID Cookie from
> > the list of cookies by using this construct ?
> >
> > if
> > (cookies[i].getName().equals(org.apache.tomcat.connector.Constants.Sessi
> > onCookie))
> > // ...
> > else
> > request.addCookie(cookies[i]);
> >

> A similar philosophical reason -- container session management should
also be
> transparent.

If something is transparent doesn't that mean than you can look through
it and see everything on the other site ;-)

> For your "proxy" use case, it seems like a configurable option
> for this would also solve the problem.

Here my argument against this is also similar as for the header names,

The documentation for getCookies() in the servlet API at least for now is

Returns an array containing all of the Cookie objects the client sent
with this request.

Unless this is not identified as an errata in the Java servlet
specification it shouldn't be implemented differently to this
documentation.

Summing everthing up so far:

I think the best would be to have a configurable option as you suggested,
but the default should be not to suppress this header and not to suppress
this cookie because the DEFAULT for tomcat should be to be compliant to
the servlet api specification.

> Craig

> See you at ApacheCon Europe <http://www.apachecon.com>!
> Session VS01 (23-Oct 13h00-17h00):  Sun Technical Briefing
> Session T06  (24-Oct 14h00-15h00):  Migrating Apache JServ
>                                     Applications to Tomcat

Bernd