tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eilers <...@stardivision.de>
Subject Re: Case Sensitivity in URLs (was RE: BugRat Report #92 was closed(apparently by: Craig R.)
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:19:14 GMT

Hi there !

> [...]

Just one sentence to Craig: I totally agree to all your statements in
your last mail on this topic, especially the following:

> Doing this would violate one of the key value propositions of Java --
portability.
> That is much more important to me than working around this "feature" of
the Windows
> platform.

> Craig McClanahan

Two more arguments to add to the list:

- Following Open Standards as close as possible is always a main goal for
Open Source Projects and one of their key advantages.

- Tomcat is the Reference Implementation for the Servlet API it should
show Web Server implementors how to do things right by following the
Specifications ( Servlet API and JSP specs and relevant rfc's ) and not
how to mess with the specs like Microsoft does ;-)

just my
+1 for being case sensitiv only

Steve wrote:

>> currently, my relative URLs don't work if they are "relative to" an URL
that
>> the user typed in the wrong case. If anyone knows how to make this work,
>> please let me know (but if you are going to suggest that I not use IIS,
then
>> don't bother. This is not an option for me. The web app I am developing
must
>> work on a variety of servers, including IIS).

You can use a Front Component Servlet mapped to / that intercepts every
request and then uses a RequestDispatcher dispatching to eg. lowercased
version of the URL.

Anyway from my experience using relative URLs in Web Applications is a
bad idea anyway, you are never sure to what they are relative in which
servlet container if forwarding and including is also used. The servlet
specification is a little bit weird here and interpretations by different
WebServer vendors may vary.

A better solution is to use absolute URL's and generate them by using the
methods available in the servlet and JSP API request.getContextPath() ,
request.getServletPath(), ...

Bernd Eilers