tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eilers <...@stardivision.de>
Subject catalina extensiblity, WAS: Re: catalina realms
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:02:52 GMT

Hi there !

> That is correct.  The "class path" for Catalina's own components
(including
> any Valves, Realms, and so on that you write) is the JAR files found in
the
> "server" directory.

> The "lib" directory is the set of libraries that are exposed to web
> applications as shared components.

Well why we are just at the topic of what is 'exposed' as shared
components and what is not.

I've always wondered why there are so many final and or private classes
and methods in catalina in contrary to that catalina started with a
mission description of being more extensible better embeddable core
architecture.

Why for example is it not allowed to derive from classes in the
org.apache.tomcat.startup.* package to do some customized stuff eg.
override start in a class derived from Catalina.java

It's an open source project there shouldn't be so much private methods
;-)

> > Paul Lamb
> >

> Craig McClanahan

Bernd Eilers