tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "M. A. Sridhar" <m_a_srid...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: request.getremoteAddr()
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2000 22:52:53 GMT

> Hello tomcat-dev,
>
> I use Linux6.1/Apache/JServ (last build)
> In my JSP page i try to get a client IP address by
> request.getRemoteAddr(), but it always returns an IP address of the
> server.
>
> Is it a bug or i have to do something in JServ configuration???
> Thanks

This may or may not apply to you, but for what it's worth: I ran into the
same problem. In my setup, this was happening because I was using the
Apache Rewrite engine. In my setup, incoming requests directed to a URI
such as

    /servlet/page.html

were being rewritten by the rewrite engine to be directed to

    /zone/servlet/page.html

When I changed this setup to direct requests to the servlet directly
(without the intervening rewrite engine), the problem went away.

My guess is that this is a bug in the rewrite engine.

Hope this helps.

Sridhar

> --
> Best regards,