tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject edit bug #36 by person #0 (logged in as: Nick Bauman)
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:01:16 GMT

Environment description modified:
   Description changed from:

Sorry, that I am such an idiot, I do not even know what version of
tomcat is running on our production server (we share this in a hosting service,
so tomcat is installed & admin'ed by the hosting company).

But, I have grep'ed through the code for

Sorry, that I am such an idiot, I do not even know what version of
tomcat is running on our production server (we share this in a hosting service,
so tomcat is installed & admin'ed by the hosting company).

But, I have grep'ed through the code for a version

Bug description modified:
   Description changed from:

Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug or a problem with my configuration.

I can only produce this problem on our Production sun servers. It does not happen on our
Win NT testing servers.
The problem is, that I get the following exception when compiling the SECOND
JSP page after starting tomcat.
When I start tomcat, it will successfully compile 1 page. But, then it will
not compile any more pages. The only workaround that I have found
is to stop tomcat & restart it, access/compile a single page, then stop & restart
again.
After pushing a major release to our site, this is quite tedious & problemmatiec.
Especially since I use numerous Context-Paths to point at the same JSP files.
(That is my strategy for branding sites for different partners...)

the error is
<pre>
Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPerror: Can't read: /home/customers/talisman/tomcat/work/www.talismanapplications.com_8080%2Fquios/_0002fmsgops_0002ejspmsgops_jsp_0.java
1 error

        at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.ServletException.(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.JasperException.(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Jasper is complaining that it cannot read the file. I can go to that directory under tomcat/work.
I do see the file that the compiler is complaining about the permissions are 664, so read
access to the
file is not an issue. Also, the related work directory (based upon the context path) is 775
permissions.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
</pre>