tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <>
Subject BugRat Report #59 has been filed.
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:04:49 GMT
Bug report #59 has just been filed.

REPORT #59 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: critical
Confidence: public
   Release: 3.1 (Release Build)
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: Microsoft Windows 95
   OS Release: 4.00.950 B
   Platform: Intel, Pentium Pro(r), 64.0 MB RAM

POSTing data from HTML form to JSP page

I have HTML page with two HTML forms for sending data (always with one request parameter named
"q_par") to JSP under Tomcat 3.1. The first HTML form has method="get" and the second has

The first form works fine. But after press the button SUBMIT for the second form Microsoft
Internet Explorer 5 works and works and after some 5 minutes it finishes with timeout error
(and the JSP page does not display). Under Netscape Navigator work both my forms (with GET
and POST) correctly!

But I think, it is not an bug at MSIE 5, but an bug at Tomcat 3.1! Why? The problem may be
caused at processing of HTTP headers at Tomcat 3.1 (and the order of HTTP header from Web
browser are for both Web browser different):

1) MSIE 5 sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as the one before last (that is before parameter

2) Netscape sends HTTP header "Content-Length" as last one HTTP header.

3) The Specification at RFC 2068 does not speak about the order of HTTP headers!

View raw message