tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Petr Jiricka <petr.jiri...@netbeans.com>
Subject jasper.jar and tomcat.jar + non-default classloader
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:36:42 GMT
Hi,

I would like to ask your opinions about the following issue:

jasper.jar depends on tomcat.jar, and tomcat.jar is needed in classpath of
jasper.jar. This does not represent any problem if both these files are in
CLASSPATH, so they are loaded by the system classloader. But if I want to
load these files by another classloader, then the classloader complains when
loaing classes from jasper.jar that classes from tomcat.jar are not found.

This issue can be solved by adding

Class-Path: webserver.jar

into jasper.jar's manifest file. But I am not sure whether this will work on
JDK 1.1 (forgive my ignorance here, I haven't seen JDK 1.1 for ages), and of
course it raises other questions:

1) For this to work, jasper.jar and webserver.jar always have to be
distributed in the same directory
2) The same question could be asked for dependency of jasper.jar and
tomcat.jar on servlet.jar and other files

I guess it is acceptable if whoever wants to use the jar files this way may
repackage the jar files her own manifest, but isn't there a better solution
? Would it be acceptable to use the above manifest in the default build
scripts ?

Thanks
Petr