tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Geoff Soutter" <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>
Subject WEB-INF/lib classloading performance
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 06:00:03 GMT
Hi there,

I've got a web app which has around 1500 classes (2MB of .jar files).

When I deploy it with it's jar files in the WEB-INF/lib directory, it takes
around 2 minutes to get through the init() method of my servlet. When I
deploy it's jar files in the CLASSPATH, it takes only a few seconds (less
than 10).

Interestingly, this slow classloading behaviour is found across servlet
containers. Tomcat 3.x takes around 2, JRun takes around 1.5 minutes, Resin
around 10 minutes, and the others I've tried are slow as well.

Does this mean that it's an inherent problem with Java, or is it just that
none of us are any good a writing a classloader? :-)

cheers

Geoff